Monday, February 11, 2013

Crackle Sign DIY - Candy Bar

  Last October my youngest son, Joe, got married and his fiancĂ©, Sue, was planning a Candy Bar for the reception.  I raised my hand and volunteered to make the sign for the Candy Bar.

I bought a precut piece of pine wood with a nice shape and routed edges and painted the first coat brown.  This first color is the color that you will see in the cracks when finished.

Crackle Medium


When painting the Crackle Medium on, be generous and don't paint it on thin.  The thicker the layer of crackle, the larger the cracks will be.  I learned this through experience!


 
Next, after the Crackle Medium is completely dry, paint on the top coat color.  Miracuoulsy, as you paint the color on top, the paint will start cracking. Do this step quickly and keep painting.  I found it hard to "fix" the part that messed up, so paint it on quickly with long strokes.

The larger cracks are where the crackle medium was put on heavier and you can see how the cracks are smaller where the crackle medium was spread thinner.

I made the words on the computer to the exact size I wanted them on the sign.

 
Turn the paper over and using the side on the lead on the pencil, color the back heavily where the letters are.

Lay the paper on the board and trace hard around the outline of the letters.  This will leave the pencil marking on the back and a slight groove in the wood for your outline to paint the letters.


I used the same method to put the letters on for "Love is Sweet" or you can just write them on with your pencil.


The Candy Bar looked awesome at the reception!  Sue purchased different sized jars, wrapped them in purple ribbon and attached their monogram.




Smaller mason jars were filled with candy for guests to take as a favor.  Half the jars were empty so guests could fill them themselves with their favorites! 

Needless to say, the Candy Bar was loved by all!  One guest even chose to take his favorite, Starbursts - the whole big jar and all the candy!! Lol!

~ Darlene


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:

Flamingo Toes, Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House, Design Decor Tuesday


23 comments:

  1. This is outstanding! Not only the wedding candy bar spread but your sign is lovely!!!! Very creative lady!!! Love it...oh and those mason jars are adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and creative sign! Thanks so much for the tutorial - it's been awhile since I've crackled anything, but I do remember it being fun. Sitting and watching the paint dry takes on a whole new meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea, I love having some jars filled and others empty so your guest could either grab one or do their own. The sign looked great!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute Darlene! I love crackle paint :) my mom used it on a dresser once. Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Creative!

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great reception idea. I love the sign too. Thanks for showing how it is done. It came out great.
    Thanks for sharing at Funday Monday too!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! What a great table.. and the sign makes it~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sign you made........just a great idea. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome sign! Thanks for the inspiration! Pinning it:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that sign! It turned out so cute, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous job on the sign. It works perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh!! This is sooooo cute!! I love love it!!! I invite you to be a guest blogger if you are interested :) I also hope you link and share with my followers- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/02/link-party-7.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just adorable! I love the idea for having a candy bar at the reception! The sign just makes the display!

    I'm hosting a free advertising giveaway at my blog right now. Go here to find out more about it: http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/02/free-advertising.html

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sign. I love signs but have enver made my own...perhaps after seeing yours I'll give it a try! Thanks for posting...came over from Kendra's party at Kreative Creationz!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea. I just love your sign.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Darlene.... I see you have another great post! I love how weddings have changed over the years and are more fun and relaxed. With the emphasis on just being yourself rather than doing a show. Anyway, the board you made for the sweets table is fabulous! The sugar high those guests were getting only made for a better reception. Now.. what candy would I choose????!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I first saw your post photo, I was wondering where you found that great sign. Then, I clicked on the photos and realized that you had made it - wow! That is fantastic and so clever. I really like the ideas of the Mason jars to take home. I am sure everyone had a sweet time at that party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sign. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Hope to see you at next weeks party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to be featuring your post on this week's Clever Chicks Blog Hop, so please feel free to grab a Featured button!

    Cheers!
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Friend! Guess what? THIS lovely post will be featured at Smart School House for Whimsy Wednesday! The new party and your feature will go live later today. See you soon!

    Kelly from Smart School House
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
    Google+https://plus.google.com/u/0/111902135882668872474/posts

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darlene, I just love this project! My house is filled with different quote signs and now I know how to make my own. Thanks for sharing at Crafty Thursday Obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Darlene,
    we are a public school in Germany (Bavaria).
    One of our subjects is running a training company (selling typical american sweets and beverages) reflecting economic reality in the form of a model for school education.
    The students have chosen the company name „American Store GmbH“.

    This year their task was to create a new catalog. We use it only for school training purposes.
    In this catalog the students would like to use your your image "Candy bar. Love is sweet".
    We love your blog.
    Have a sweet day .......best wishes from bavaria (Germany


    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Marga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marga,

      Please contact me through my email at DarleneNudy@gmail.com.

      Looking forward to hearing from you!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete