Monday, January 21, 2013

Crochet Granny Square Blanket Tutorial

If you have been reading my blog for a while now, you already know that I love to make gifts for my friends and family!  This is
for a special friend due in March with her first baby... no names since it is only January!! 

Using these instructions, I made 36 white Granny Squares.  I only did 4 rows, although with these instructions you can do as many or few rounds as you would like.


I made the blanket 6 rows across x 6 rows down.  Using a Single Crochet stitch, I connected one square to another, matching the stitches from each square.  2 SC were used in the corner loops.

 This is what the blanket looked like after SC across and attaching the 6 rows together.

 Next, I turned the blanket 90 degrees and SC across each row, matching the stitches on the blocks.  At the intersections, 1 SC was made over the intersecting SC row.



 I used a SC stitch in every stitch around the entire outside of the blanket, again using 2 SC in the corner going in each direction.  (So this would actually be 4 SC in each corner) 

A shell border was added by doing *5 DC in a stitch, skip a stitch, slip stitch in the next stitch, skip a stitch*.  Repeat this pattern between *'s all the way around.

 For this blanket, I used an acrylic yarn and a Size H crochet hook.  The size came out to be 30" x 30".  
Perfect for a baby!



Comments welcome and appreciated!




19 comments:

  1. This turned out adorable! I love the white and yellow :)

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good gender-neutral color!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  2. It is beautiful! What a wonderful talent you have! These are the special gifts....how lucky your friends and family are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm not sure if they are lucky or stuck with my stuff!! lol!

      More to come!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  3. Hi. I just popped over from the Grow Your Blog party. You're on the list of participants. You have made a lot of wonderful things. I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm about to become one of your newest followers. Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am also following you. You have some wonderful items on your blog and looking forward to snooping around more!! Much talent!!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  4. oh it is so pretty and looks so soft and warm : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so snuggly!!:) Thanks for stopping by...

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  5. It's lovely. Love the yellow and white. I always wondered how to put the squares together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can put them together several ways. This is just the way I chose. You can also use the yarn and sew them together with a needle.

      Happy crocheting!
      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  6. Hi! Found your post on the winthrop chronicles. We have a family member expecting twins and I've been looking for a pattern for baby blankets-thank you for posting this! It is adorable!

    ali
    www.40tasks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy making the blankets! I went to your blog but couldn't find a way to subscribe to your posts. Did I miss it?

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  7. Oh so precious. It looks so lovely and so soft. Beautiful. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is very soft!! I am working on another design that I will be posting too! I am your newest follower!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  8. very cute! i like that the sem is a different color than the blocks. i should try this one day!

    thanks for sharing :)

    trish @ tales from ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so precious! Great tutorial, glad you shared it at my party. Thanks!
    Hugs,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing. I have no patience to put a blanket together. Thank you for sharing at our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete