Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 Christmas Gifts

 

Last year I so enjoyed making the Christmas Pillows for Edie that I decided that this year would be a year of homemade gifts for everyone.  

I started a bit late but managed to get all the gifts finished in time. 
The main gift I chose this year was a hand crocheted Cowl with large buttons.  The pattern for this is currently offered on my Etsy site for a measley $4.00!!  Click HERE to link to the pattern. 

The buttons used were purchased either through Ebay or JoAnn's.  My favorites were the larger Wooden Buttons from Ebay.
                                                   

These cowls are warm around your neck but are not bulky.  They stay in place and don't slide off as a scarf can tend to do.  I ended up making one for Edie, Celeste, Kim, Lindsey, Dena, Jaime, Mom, Sue, Sandie and Judie.

Edie

Mom


Sue


Jaime

Sandie

Dena

Jean

Lindsey

Celeste

Judie



 I also made 3 Headband Wraps for Edie, Jaime and Judie...

Edie
 

Judie

Jaime

Lauren and Jakki received infinity scarves.  Jakki's was crocheted with a double crochet using a size K hook.  I used a really soft, thin fuzzy type yarn resulting in a lightweight scarf.

Jakki
Lauren's scarf was made using a really soft Red Heart Shimmer yarn.  This was also made with a large hook and rows of double crochet.

Lauren

Next on my list were Boot Cuffs for Dena, Lindsey and Lauren.  These are different than the cuffs I previously posted with a free pattern

I used a row of single crochet then a row of double crochet, in the back loops only, for these cuffs and then attached buttons on the turned-down cuff.  These Boot Cuffs are available on my Etsy page already made.

Dena

Lindsey

Lauren
 
I love they way they look with any boot style.

Last, but definitely not the least, I made Reindeer Pillows for Edie, Celeste, Kim and one I kept for myself.  I don't usually do that but there was a flaw in the fabric and couldn't see giving it to anyone for a gift, but it looks great on my sofa! 
 

Edie & Celeste
I copied a clipart of a reindeer and blew it up on my printer.  I then ironed wonder-under to the back of the fabric and laid the copied picture on top and cut out the applique.  I ironed the applique to the front of the pillow and attached the ribbon bow.  The back of the pillow is made from the same fabric as the reindeer.  Zippers attached and pillow form inserted...finally finished!

Kim & Myself
This Pumpkin Pillow was not actually a Christmas gift this year.  This was made for my niece, Angela, for a housewarming gift in October.  The pumpkins were cut from burlap and I zig zagged over jute for the vines.  I used brown fabric and handstitched the stems to the pumpkins.

Angela
Although making gifts is much more time consuming and at times, more costly, than shopping for a store bought gift, there is a warmer feeling of giving that cannot be felt with a gift card or a gift that has a gift receipt in the box.

                                                                    I FORGOT!!!  

I can't can believe that I forgot about the gifts I made for little Joey and Jordyn!  They have both grown so much and have grown out of their bath towels with hoods that their Mommies got for shower gifts.  I made them each a new Hooded Towel and I made a toothbrush/toothpaste roll up for Jordyn, too!

Joey's Hooded Towel - Source


























Jordyn's Hooded Towel (Similar)- Source



Jordyn's Rollup - Source



I am looking forward to the coming year to see what I will create with my new Babylock Ellure Embroidery Sewing Machine!



Any project suggestions??

Don't forget to visit Shannon from Sewing Barefoot for a Great Giveaway!!!
Comments welcome and appreciated!

Please feel free to PIN this post. 
Pin It


~ Darlene

12 comments:

  1. Hi there, thanks for stopping by my blog. I just discovered the wonders of cowl when making one for my friend. I think there is going to be more in my knitting list!
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crocheted cowls are fun and easy to make and I love the outcome! I would love to see some of your knitted cowls!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  2. Honestly you are so talented with all the items you created! I love the cowls and the pillows. so pretty! New follower from the blog hop! You can find me at http://theresmagicoutthere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! Found you and am following!

      Enjoy,
      Darlene

      Delete
  3. You are so talented! Everything is so fantastic!! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit, sweet comment and of course the follow at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Would love it if you would share this great post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shared the post and thanks for the invite too! You know that means a lot!

      Keeping my eye on your blog!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  4. Wow, looks like you were busy! Those cowls look so warm and comfy :)
    Thanks for linking up to my blog hop and following!
    I'm now following you, have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are very talented. Some lovely presents. Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing your link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-17-and-secret.html



    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great gifts! Your friends must have been blessed to receive them all! Just got this pinned on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bunch of great ideas! Thank you so much for sharing. I too am a crocheter, and would love for you to come check out my blog sometime!

    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete