Wednesday, October 10, 2012

LEGO Blocks



Another Designing 4 Hope project included a LEGO-inspired room.  We made 8 Large LEGO's to hang around the room. 



Starting with a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood....



Nick cut 8 @ 10"x20", 16 @ 2 1/2"x20" and 16 @ 2 1/2"x8 1/2"


The sides were nailed to the bottom of the top piece using a nail gun with finish nails...


All the boxes were primed with Kilz2 latex primer...

Using a drill with a hole saw attachment, 2 circles for each LEGO were cut and nailed to the top of the LEGO.  Nail holes and srill holes are filled with wood filler and sanded.

I used sample paints in Red, Yellow, Green and Blue from Home Depot instead of buying full quarts.




Wendy, owner of Wendy Campo Photography was one of our fantastic volunteers that took pictures and helped bring the room alive!  Check out her blog, she is an amazing photograper and inspriation!





Larger LEGOs were used to spell SAM for above the bed.  I tried so many different types of glue and none of them seemed to work.  They held together well enough for me to use an air stapler to staple them together on the back side.  (he he :D I said back side!)





 This is the LEGO inspired quilt I made for Sam that I showed you in a previous post.




How about some inspiration for a LEGO Halloween costume!!!???  This is adorable and so easy to make!



Designing 4 Hope is a non-profit organization that creates bedroom makeovers for critically ill children and their siblings. This LEGO makeover was for a sibling of Lou, who was diagnosed with Stage 3 Hodgkins Lymphnoma.  You can see all the makeovers and Lou's story on this video.

Please LIKE our Facebook Page!!

Contributions can be made securely through the website and volunteers are always welcome!!

~ Darlene


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:
 Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House, Design Decor Tuesday, Sarah Dawn Designs, Raising ReaganSew Much Ado, Southern Lovely , Sugar and DotsFamily Home and LifeThe Life of Jennifer DawnMy World Made By HandMade in a Day

22 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! My brother would have drooled over this room when he was younger. He did dress up as a blue lego one year for Halloween. Great idea with the wood blocks/legos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my1 these things are huge! In the first picture I didn't visualize their size! What a wonderful theme to decorate a boys room with! You are such a good mom! I bet the boys love it... :)



    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to have a handyman husband with tools for carpentry! Are these open out cupboards at all? I once made a lego brick birthday cake but have since realised that blue and red food colourings are really bad for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Nick is great!! No but that would be a good idea to put a hinge on the side and have them be able to open...

      Great suggestion!

      ~ Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  4. Amazing :) You guys are full of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lego's and the costume is totally amazing. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! these are super cool even for a lego party. I hope you stop by to share- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/02/link-party-9.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love! I have a bedroom for two little boys waiting to be finished! You have motivated me to finish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love the Legos. And boy are my boys addicted! Please share it on Creative Crafts Thursday, www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com, and any of your favorite projects each and every week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre HOp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! My son wants a Lego themed room so these are great ideas! (His name is Sam too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny that his name is SAM too! Glad you like it!! Good Luck with gluing them!! That part was a bugger!!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  13. Very nice!! My son would love to have this in his room. Too bad neither DH nor I are handy with a saw. We'll just admire your son's room instead. :-)
    Thanks for sharing at Funday Monday.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun is that my boys would love them! And his name in Lego's is such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know a lego nut that would love to have these in his room! Thanks for bringing this to the Oldie's party! Hope to see you back there next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Lego name above the bed, have pinned to remind me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so AWESOME!! I'm featuring this tonight on MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for bringing these to the Oldie's party--you were featured!

    ReplyDelete