Thursday, August 16, 2012

LEGO Quilt

When I found out we were doing a LEGO inspired bedroom for our next makeover for http://www.designing4hope.org, I thought it would be fun to make a LEGO quilt for the room.  I did some snooping around on the web and came up with this quilt design.  Here is one quilt (LEGO Quilt) that I really liked, but since this was a donation, I knew I had to do this one myself.  If you are interested in purchasing one like this, refer to this link... LEGO Quilt

I went to Joann Fabrics and bought Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Light Blue, Red and Orange fabrics.  I had a hard time deciding on the backing.  I came across this green, furry fabric.  When I finished making the quilt, I decided that it was a great choice since it resembled the green boards that you build your LEGOs on and it is the child's favorite color!  Yeah, good choice!

After piecing the front together and then attaching the batting and furry fabric backing, I quilted the entire quilt, one circle at a time!  This was tricky but I managed...


I am really happy with the end result and can't wait for the "reveal" of the LEGO room for http://www.designing4hope.org

Here is a link to the large LEGO Blocks we made for the wall!!
~ Darlene

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:
 Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House, Design Decor Tuesday, Sarah Dawn Designs, Raising ReaganSew Much Ado, Southern Lovely , Sugar and DotsFamily Home and LifeThe Life of Jennifer DawnMy World Made By HandMade in a Day , Housewife How-To's

15 comments:

  1. How did you make your circles so that they all matched?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Don't look too closely!! I used a wine glass to draw the circles and then pinned around the circle. I actually put that fluffy quilt in my machine and sewed completely around EACH circle, turning the quilt as I sewed! It was tough but took my time.

      I received a new Babylock Embroidery machine for Christmas this year and was surprised when I learned I could select a circle and size it larger. I could have used this to do the sewing without having to turn the quilt while sewing, if that makes sense. Check you machines special decorative stitches and see if there is a circle that would work for you.

      This quilt was so snuggly!!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  2. How did you make your circles so that they all matched?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Lego here in our house. Your fluffy quilt is just clever. I have a friend who did a paper pieced Lego quilt that you can find the FREE patterns for at http://quietplay.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/a-friday-finish-lego-play-mat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to your friends pattern! Great site and nice pattern...I saved it to go back to so I can read it closer!

    ~ Darlene
    Facebook = My Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much fun is this Lego quilt?! What a great idea for those boys you want to make a quilt for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now THAT'S a good idea! You are just going Lego crazy, aren't you?
    I love how you make the Lego rectangular shapes, but also added the round circles. That was a brilliant idea!
    I bet your boys love it!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! My grandson would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO cute!! I am pinning to my board of quilt ideas! Visiting via I Gotta Try That Link Party!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing. My boys would be in 7th Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! My son is just starting to be interested in LEGOS. Thanks for linking up to An Oldie but a Goodie party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great quilt. I love the circles in the center of the blocks. I know this will be a well loved quilt! Thank you for sharing!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting and linking up at Design Decor Tuesday! This entry is actually perfect for Creative Crafts Thursday. I hope you don't mind that I pinned your entry. Oh, and if you'd like to join my Blogger Pinterest Board for Crafty Divas, please leave me a comment on my site with your Pinterest name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Darlene! It is so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a couple of kids that would love a LEGO quilt!! Thank you for sharing at Funday Monday .
    Come back and share some more.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete