Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kitchen Remodel



Here are the Before pictures of the beautiful kitchen in the house of our dreams  we could afford when we decided to downsize 2 years ago.
 Note the gray laminate cabinets with the 70's type mauve stripe for extra special styling!
 To open the cabinets, you would push on the door to release the magnet that kept it closed!  Totally reminds me of a doctor's office (in the late 70's, maybe!)
 The lighting was not my choice but we did end up keeping one of those curvy lights in the new kitchen.  Somehow it seemed to be a good choice.
The kitchen and dining rooms were next to each other but there was a set of stairs to the basement in between.  This made it so we couldn't just knock down the wall (I make it sound so easy, huh?) and open it up to 2 rooms.  Nooooooo....The 2 walls get knocked down and the stairs are moved to the end of the dining room.  I will show how this effected the basement layout when we Nick refinished the already finished basement.



The red chalk line is where the new stairs are cut out.  All the hardwood is saved and nails removed, so he can replace it later where needed.



This gorgeous kitchen was my initial inspiration...courtesy of Sandie!!  ♥  (This is one lady that seriously needs to blog...she has the most amazing house and design style for the home and fashion)

I chickened out on the green color for the cabinets at the last minute. Probably a big mistake....



 We paid $500 on Craigslist for all the used oak cabinets. The sink (uppers) were purchased from Lowes. About $120 each + $100 each for the bubble glass! This was almost as much as all the cabinets!! The floor was laid on a diagonal (by Nick).
 The hood over the stove is built with 1 piece of nice plywood, all designed and built by Nick...again!

The enclosure for the refrigerator was built with beadboard

 This was getting to me so I had to fill the cabinets...
when we paint them, we don't have to remove the stuff anyway, so why not put it in there and use them now!!??

Crown Molding and baseboard (upside down) was added at the top and a decorative molding added at the bottom of the cabinets.

 Close up of cabinet trims


 I found the cabinet hardware here at 1/2 the price they were at Lowes.  Good find!

 We painted the cabinets with this paint purchased at a Benjamin Moore store in a custom match of Linen White.
 Granite was purchased at Colonial Marble & Granite in King of Prussia, PA.  They were very professional and a pleasure to do business with.  The seam is flawless and undetectable and the fit was perfect!



 Loving the flow blue platter over the stove...which I believe, this whole room was designed around! The lighting is still the old in these pictures.

 Natural subway style tile was installed (by Nick) to keep with the neutral palate.  This way I can change colors whenever I want!
 



 The opening was added at the end of the counter to be able to see into the Livingroom and the archway was trimmed out with molding (custom made by Nick).

See that brass -ugh!- chandelier in the eating area?? Remember that...it will be repurposed and transformed in the Living Room to Eating Area redo...coming soon!



 Counter chairs were about $50 each from The Christmas Tree Shop and the paint color is Benjamin Moore Waterbury Cream.
 Moldings were routed and custom made by Nick.
 Roman Shade over the sink is this fabric.

This fabric was used for the panels on the new Anderson Slider from Home Depot.



 An added pantry in the space behind the new stairs got a stylish look with fabric covered shelves with ribbon attached to the front edge of the shelves.



All new stainless steel appliances from Lowes...Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Gas Stove & Microwave.






 The curvy light above the sink was reused from the original kitchen.


After the kitchen was all finished, we, yes WE, thought that the eating area was too small for when the whole family was here (since we do not have a Dining Room) so I will be doing a future post on the transformation of the Living Room into the eating area for the kitchen...

~ Darlene


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:

Flamingo Toes, Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House

57 comments:

  1. Wow Darlene! WOW!
    I cannot believe you moved the stairs! You are so much more daring than me.

    And that kitchen is PHENOMENAL! I am so impressed with your vision, since I would NEVER have thought to buy oak cabinets and then paint them. They are so beautiful now.

    And all the custom millwork.. wow.

    It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm honored that you like it!! I will be posting about our shore house remodel also. We did the same thing there and you will be able to see the start to finish of that project too! Thanks for following!

    ~ Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! This is amazing!!!!! Definitely the best remodel of oak cabinets that I've seen! How did you paint them so perfectly to not show the original wood grain? Has it held up well? How much did all this set you back? I'd love to hear your comments so I can copy this for my drab kitchen!!!!!
    {Angie}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie,
      Thanks for the wonderful comments! We used the Cabinet Coat paint from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/cabinetcoat-1-gal-white-trim-and-cabinet-enamel-cc4510.html) and painted them with a brush. The key is to make sure the cabinets are really clean. Use TSP with a green scungi pad to wash them down (no sanding) and then make sure you get the residue off too. If the oak grain is heavy, you may want to sand it a bit. The paint has some sort of leveler in it so when you brush it on, you can see the brush strokes but the it levels out flat as it dries. We took the doors off for painting and laid them flat, but painted the cabinets on the wall. We have done 3 kitchens this way and are very happy with the results. We have had a couple of nicks that we retouched, but it was more because "someone" nicked it and not from daily use.
      We would use the same method if we do another kitchen. It was about $50 per gallon and we only used 1 gallon. We did use the WHOLE gallon but I would suggest having extra for touch ups if needed.

      I hope this was helpful to you and let me know if I can help in any other way. Look for more room remodel posts in the futer, since we did our eating area of the kitchen, basement and bathroom!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  4. I am exhausted! Looking at all the work it took to totally transform the kitchen, left me breathless. lol ;) AMAZING! Love it! Love all the details. Molding...and more molding! Swoon. ;) Staggering the upper cabinets really make a difference! It adds a eye catching depth to the look and feel of the room.

    Fantastic work! I bet you are enjoying your kitchen. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome design of this kitchen, banana putted in the jar is making look much better, I got inspired by this, I gonna redesign my kitchen like this, thanks for sharing information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I would love to be able to redo our cabinets and kitchen! Yours turned out gorgeous. I think I'll follow along with your house projects!

    I dropped in from the Grow Your Blog party.

    ~ Sherrie (Bird Lady)

    http://birdladyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Thanks for following and I am following you also and looking forward to reading more of your great posts!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  7. I don't understand why you didn't get more feedback on this great remodel. Wow it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee Thanks! I guess it's because I don't have that many followers... :(

      I may repost it again in a link party to show it off a bit more!! My hubby worked real hard on this project and designed most of it himself...I just gave the approval nod!!

      Thanks again!
      ~ Darlene
      www.MyHoneyBunch.CO

      Delete
  8. Darlene-- This is GORGEOUS!! I am amazed at your resourcefulness. I'm featuring this now on my FB page and on The Tuesday Ten later this week. I'm thrilled that you linked up with us today...what a FABULOUS makeover!!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,

      Thank you so much for your comments and also for featuring me!! That is a huge honor in my book!!! I will be checking out you FB page and Like it if I haven't already!

      xo,
      Darlene
      www.MyHOneyBunch.CO
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
    2. Hi Darlene! What a fantastic job you and your hubby did on your kitchen.I love that you found used oak cabinets since you were planning to paint anyway. I just finished a similar redo of my kitchen.Hope to post one of these days.Looking forward to following you. Jane

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I will be looking for your post on your kitchen too!! Thanks for stopping by!

      ~ Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  9. Beautiful kitchen. I had read about that paint and would love to do my bedroom furniture. You did a wonderful remodel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We also painted our bedroom furniture and it turned out nice. We used a different paint though, and it is holding up beautifully.

      ~ Darlene
      www.MyHoneyBunch.CO
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  10. I totally agree with Terry.. I am actually coming back AGAIN to see it since I was reminded of it when I saw that Ishouldbemoppingthefloor featured it on her FB page (http://www.facebook.com/ishouldbemoppingthefloor/posts/540923949273880) and now I'm going to share it too! It is *that* wonderfu. I hope it drives some traffic over your way!

    Now that I look at it again I realize that you even used the same tile I used for my shower and am in awe that anyone would have the vision to actually BUY oak cabinets and then make them beautiful! I am even more impressed. IT IS AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some accomplishment, Darlene. You must be enjoying the transformation so much!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, we are enjoying it! We even made some more changes that are awesome too!! I am getting those posts ready to reveal too!! I hope you are here to see them!!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  12. I know you hated to see that mauve stripe go, LOL! Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the stone backsplash. So pretty!

    Linking from Mod Vintage Monday,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes, that mauve stripe was hard to give up, but sometime you must move forward...about 30 years!! :)

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  13. That is so much work to redo a kitchen. You got it right! I bet you are just loving that new bright beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We defintiely are loving it! More to come!! :)

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  14. Wow! I love the colors you chose and all that molding! It must make cooking feel just wonderful each evening!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You guys did a fantastic job! At first I thought the first picture was your "inspiration" picture, then I realized it was your finished kitchen!
    Congratulations!

    Ali @ Forty before 40
    www.40tasks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, I usually put the final picture at the beginning and the end of my blogs. :/

      Thanks for stopping by!
      ~ Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  16. amazing! i can't believe you were able to relocate the stairs, and you got a great kitchen out of it! we must be neighbors, b/c KoP isn't too far from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I" didn't move the stairs!! Hubby did all that...his idea too, not mine!! We do love the kitchen and the new expanded space for stuff!

      We are in Downingtown, about 20 minutes from KOP. Neighbors?

      :)
      Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  17. Oh my word, your kitchen is gorgeous. What an amazing transformation. I love it. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!

      ~ Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  18. Over from Savvy Southern - amazing work...good on you both for recycling used cabinets. The finishes are beautiful. I especially love the backsplash. Starting a kitchen refresh myself and I am pinning YOU for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for loving my kitchen and for Pinning it!! I am a big recycler so using these cabinets had double duty...recycling and saving TONS of $$$$!! :)

      I can't wait to see your kitchen remodel! I will be posting our basement and the second part of the kitchen soon...hope you will be here to see them too! (Nick, my hubby, is amazing!)

      ~ Darlene
      Facebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous!! Love the beadboard on the cabinet ends and the molding around the doorway opening! Looks fantastic!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna,

      Thanks for noticing the detail! My hubby designed all of that and he made the moldings around the door opening by routing the edges himself!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      ~ Darlene
      Fabebook = My Honey Bunch

      Delete
  20. Awesome Awesome Lady! It is stunning! Enjoy your beautiful new space with your family and have a wonderful weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, your kitchen is amazing!! You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So thrilled to have you share.

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your new kitchen! I would love to have you join me as I kick off my brand new Creative HomeAcre Hop today at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/category/the-creative-hopmeacre-hop

    ReplyDelete
  23. DARLENE!!! I just saw that you were featured!!!! Congrats lady!!! You deserve it!!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  24. DARLENE!!!! I just saw that you were featured!!!! Congrats to you!!! You deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Thank you so much! That was so nice of her to feature our kitchen!! :) :) :)

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  25. Darlene, it is just spectacular! You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on by and pick up a feature button for your blog. Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  26. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Wow Featured!!! Nick (my hubby) worked really hard on building and designing this kitchen! See you Monday! :)

    Thank you again!!
    ~ Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Darlene! Great kitchen makeover! We are currently working on our kitchen. Seems like it takes forever! I painted our cabinets, added new hardware about 1-1/2 years ago. Just put beadboard on wall, painted and ordered new tin back splash. Now, have to choose tile for counters. Love your granite! Found you on Mop It Up Mondays and am now happy to be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally amazing!!!

    We widened our opening to our kitchen too and built a faux beam. The wall was not a support wall, but darn they put the plumbing in that wall and after fixing all the plumbing here we didn't want to move it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Breathtakingly beautiful! Did you prime your cabinets before painting?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really nice job...love the hood..so pretty...enjoy your beautiful space!!...come on over for a visit...:)
    Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Stopped by your blog and am following...thanks for stopping by here!!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  31. GORGEOUS!!!!! I love the tiles....awesome!! Having a kitchen like that would make me want to cook more....haha! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! What a beautiful transformation! It's a dream kitchen! Love every detail, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Gorgeous transformation! It's a dream kitchen! I love every detail, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You really did an exceptional job here - just beautiful. We will be remodeling our kitchen in a bit over a year, and you gave me some great inspiration! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  35. Darlene, this is absolutely amazing! You and your husband did a great job and I know that you are loving it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A friend recommended me to this site. Thank you for the details.


    My blog post carpet cleaning in melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing job! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Awesome craftsmanship!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow darlene that is an amazing renovation!!! love the soffits! Thanks so much for linking up to support Habitat!

    ReplyDelete