Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Messy Paint Can Tip

 Does your paint can look like this when you open and close your paint can several times?  Mine used to and now I have a wonderful tip to help avoid this mess!
 Before you close the can after the first time painting, use a large nail and hammer holes around the top.  Put the nail in the groove where the can lid snaps in...

 Hammer holes about every 2" all the way around

The paint will drain back into the can and will not build up in the groove.  The next time you open the can, the lid will come off easily and continue to drain in the can each time!!

~ Darlene


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:

Flamingo Toes, Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House

21 comments:

  1. That is a good idea! Mine crusts up so that the lid is no longer flush with the rim. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fabulous idea thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once read a similar tip via Martha Stewart... thanks for the reminder!! My cans certainly look like the first one picture :)

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I never would think Martha and I were on the same page!! I got this tip from my brother who is a professional painter for over 30 years!

      Thanks!
      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  4. So simple and so brilliant! I am doing this on my next painting project. I found you via Lil' Luna link party.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous tip!
    I can barely close any of my tins right now!!!
    Definitely your newest follower
    ( would love a follow back when you have the time )
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!!! I so needed this!! That mess always annoys me and now I have a solution! Thanks for sharing...Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip, Darlene, for relieving that stress we all get when we return to a paint can, only to find that crusty gunk around the rim! Yuk! So this post led me to read the previous one. I was cracking up over the lamp! I just gave my lampshade a hair cut... cut off those balls of fringe that 12 years ago looked so french-inspired. I think even they have given up on those!! Phew! Now the "girls" are so much more up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips. I will be painting a lot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I'm going to feature you on this week's hop!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was taught this trick over 60 years ago by my grandfather who learned it from his father. Only difference is he used a flat-head screwdriver to make the holes...better drainage and less chance of clogging up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your tip too! I have also used a screwdriver to achieve the same thing but I didn't notice a difference in the drainage....Thanks!

      ~ Darlene

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for this tip! You kinda wonder why the paint companies haven't thought of this before! Hope you have a great day! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darlene, this is such a wonderful tip! Thank you for sharing at Crafty Thursday Obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by to let you know I am featuring you twice tomorrow on Made in a Day! Stop by and grab a Feature Button! You deserve it!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete