Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hangin' Around




I saw these hangers on several websites and just had to try them myself... that is just my nature and in my bones - I want to make everything I see!  I do have a long list of projects that I want to create and you will be seeing them on my blog over time.  

With 2 weddings in my future, I thought I would start on these adorable Bridesmaid hangers.  I will do my best to show you how they are made.

First, I went to Michael's and bought 12 Gauge Aluminum Wire in a package of 15 feet. (40% coupon used, of course!)  I was only able to get 3 hangers from one pack.

I dug up my needle nose pliers. Looks like they have seen better days!  
I wrapped cloth tape around tape the tips of the pliers so they wouldn't leave any marks in the wire while bending and crimping. 

Wooden Hangers ~ Walmart in a package of 5 for about $5. 



 I started at the left side of the hanger and wrapped the wire around the notch.  (You can also make the name and then drill small holes to glue the ends in if you don't like it wrapped around the hanger.)  I am all about easy though, so I wrapped...

I used websites to look at lettering and wrote the names on paper and used that as a guide for bending the wire.  When doing the "a" or "o" or other round letters, use a tube of something that is round to wrap so it is smooth, such as a handle on a broom or bottle, that is the size you need for your letters.

After finishing the entire name, you can add a ♥ if it is a short name or you can then attach it to the other end of the hanger and cut off the excess.

My first attempt was with Size 18 Gauge wire.  This was what one tutorial suggested using.  Didn't work for me.  It was hard to bend and was very flimsy when finished.  12 Gauge is the way to go...







Suggestions for some variations:  

Hangers can be Black, Dark Brown, Light Brown or White.
Hangers can be painted any color, also!

Wording:  Bride - Bridesmaid - Maid of Honor 
Mrs. Brown (or whatever) - Groom


*Add a ribbon or flowers for a nice detail at the top*
Here's a preview of the hangers I am working on for a June wedding... I still need to finish Lindsey, Leigh and Nicole.


~ Darlene


Comments welcome and appreciated!
This post may be linked at several of these sites:

Flamingo Toes, Flamingo Toes, I Heart Naptime, The DIY Showoff, My 1929 Charmer, The Tablescaper, The Chicken Chick, A Blossoming Life , Sewing Barefoot, The Dedicated House , Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Do Small Things with Love , Create With Joy, Sew Can Do, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, The Honeysuckle Bus Stop, Cottage Instincts, Thrifty Decor Chick , Keeping It Simple, Crafty Texas Girls, Mod Vintage Life, Uncommon Designs , Craft-O-Maniac, Home Stories A to Z, Creative Living Blog, Sylvia Stitches, The Chicken ChickI Gotta Try That, Skip to My Lou, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Reinvented, My Crazy Beautiful Life, The Thrifty Home, Elizabeth and Company, If It's Not Baroque, Shades of Amber, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Winthrop Chronicles, Coastal Charm, Cozy Little House, A Stroll Thru Life, So I Married a Craft Blogger , A to Zebra Celebrations  , Jaqs Studio, Someday Crafts, Lil Lun, Ginger Snap Crafts, The 36th Avenue, Fluster Buster, Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts , Joyful Homemaking , Saving 4 Six, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Virginia House, House of Hepworths, Apple of Mama's Eye, The Shabby Nest, A Few of My Favorite Things, Home Is Where My Story Begins, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Sew Many Ways, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sunshine and Summer Breezes, Here's to Handy Andy , Sassy Little Lady, Smart! School House, Design Decor Tuesday


41 comments:

  1. What a great project! I am pinning this tutorial for future reference. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so awesome! I saw them on etsy and were super expensive! Great job! I'm totally pinning this and would love if you would share this over at our blog hop http://www.ablossominglife.com/2013/02/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fantastic, ,y mom bought one for my cousin but it looks easy enough to make. Great idea!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so awesome! I would like to invite you to link up to Thrifty Thursday! You would fit right in and we would love to have you!

    appleofmamaseye.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you there!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I think my daughter would really like these. Thankfully she's not ready to get married yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SO COOL! They would make great gifts for besties too!

    Following from Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Please share it on a terrific linky – Design Décor Tuesday. www.designdecortuesday.blogspot.com. See you there! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really did a beautiful job with these - I'm not sure mine would be legible! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi!
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cool, I want to make some. If you get a chance I would love for you to come share over at my Tuesday Pin Party.

    http://sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2013/02/pintastic-tuesday-link-party-27.html#.USP_sKWkrCc

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cutest things ever! I want some!!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want some!!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great, easy and inexpensive idea. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful gift idea. I was wondering about long names when I started reading, but you manage to fit them in. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They came out beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this...and my readers will too, especially since I just posted a blurb about wire hangers. I'd love for you to link up in my very first linky party {ya, ya...I'm a bit behind the times apparently} that started today.

    Jessica
    myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. How clever is this. Thanks for sharing at TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE this!! My older sister is getting married in october and I'm her maid of honor! This is exactly what I am going to make for bridesmaid gifts!! Thanks so much! I'm a new follower by the way!

    -Sarah

    http://asimplepinchofpaisley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome idea!! They are so cute and would make a perfect gift. Just pinned. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are gorgeous! Thanks for all the great tips on wrapping the wire (and wrapping the pliers so you don't scratch the wire - so smart).

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea! I had not seen those before. They look adorable. I may have to give this a try myself.
    Thank you for sharing at Funday Monday!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! Thank yu for sharing these! (I came over from the Funday Monday linky party.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for sharing! Its so cute and easy way to make the day funny !
    I found you through Aloha Friday Blog Hop
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such an awesome project! I love it. What a great personal gift. Pinning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these I might have to try it or at least add it to my list of projects to try. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are awesome! I would've never thought to DIY these, but now I just may have to try! I found you on Apple of Mama's Eye Thrifty Thursday! Thanks for sharing your project!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a cute idea! love it! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. My daughter considered these for her wedding too! Great job figuring out how to diy them. Visiting and pinning from Diana Rambles.

    Jeanette @ Creating a Life

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so much fun! Any Bride would love this! I'm featuring you tonight on MMM

    ReplyDelete
  31. Turned out wonderfully! Happily pinning. Thanks for linking up at the oldies party last week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. awww these are adorable! :) I've seen these for brides before but didn't think they would be easy to make (at least, you made it look easy!) I love the hearts you were doing for the dots on the i's!

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE this! This would be great for a babyshower I have coming up.

    Thanks for sharing at Crafty Thursday Obsessions. Hope to see you this week again <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this! I'd like to do it...well I'll see.
    Bogomilla

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Friend! Guess what? THIS lovely post will be featured at Smart School House for Whimsy Wednesday! The new party and your feature will go live later today. See you soon!

    Kelly from Smart School House
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse
    Google+https://plus.google.com/u/0/111902135882668872474/posts

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this idea! I am just stopping by to let you know I am featuring these tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up to Made in a Day last week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete